Arun is Bringing You...Your Daily Remedy

Friday, June 29, 2007

The Singing Sensation










free player from mysplayer.com

It is a well known fact that I like to sing from time to time...and by from time to time, I mean all the time.

I've always been a little walking jukebox ever since I was a kid, but until high school when I joined choir, I never sang in public.

Now I can't get enough of singing in public (the jury is still out on whether the public can or can't get enough of me).

When I worked at Tennis Warehouse, I used to serenade the customer service floor all the time, much to everyone's amusement. There's nothing that gets people in a good mood at 6am like Arun singing his lungs out while doing the A-town shuffle (a move I invented).

Unfortunately, now that I work in a more "professional" environment, I have to restrict myself to a quiet hum. For some reason, my supervisor doesn't like hearing my performances from down the hall. Consequently I more than make up for it by singing EXTRA in the shower and car.

In fact, for awhile in college, I used to ride around on a moped. Since I had no radio, the only way I could satisfy my musical ear, was to sing to myself as I was riding along. That's right. If you were fortunate to pull up next to me at a traffic light, you were likely to hear a little Journey or Michael Jackson.

Funny/Embarrassing story time. In college, I lived with this big buffed out Asian guy (sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it?) who I used to engage almost daily in a battle of wits and friendly insults. I also enjoyed belting out songs extra loud in the shower when he wasn't home, since the shower was directly across the hall from his room.

Well, one afternoon when no one was home, I decided to practice my "Star Spangled Banner." I like to keep it "in shape" just in case anyone ever needs an emergency "National Anthem" singer at a sporting event. I have never been called upon, but I like to think that I'm the equivalent to having a doctor travelling in an airplane. The likelihood that you'll be needed is slim, but if anyone yells "Is there a doctor in the house!?," or in this case, "Is there a well practiced, incredibly good-looking National Anthem singer in the house!?," I'll be there to save the day.

So here I am showering away, warming up with some "do re me's." I then proceed to bang out a particularly riveting performance of the aforementioned anthem. I even added a little Bryan McKnight/Boyz II Men vocal shimmy at the end for effect. Satisfied with my performance, I dried off and wrapped the towel to head over to my room to get dressed.

I open the bathroom door, and am shocked!!! Standing in front of me is my Roommate and his girlfriend, standing erect in military-like posture, saluting me with these stupid smirks on their faces. This lasted for about one second before they doubled over in laughter.

Defeated.

Apparently, in my effort to warm up for this performance, my voice, along with the reverberation from the bathroom, covered up the sound of the front door opening and footsteps coming up the stairs.

The verbal ammunition he obtained from this incident lasted for a month! To make matters worse, everyone at work heard about this too (Tim, my roommate was actually my manager at TW).

Recently, I discovered the extreme fun that is Karaoke! I've only been twice, most recently last week, but I definitely foresee some more Karaoke fun in the future! Last week I sang seven, yes SEVEN, songs (group efforts and solos) including such hits as "Billie Jean" and "Don't Stop Believing."

I've mentioned in previous posts that I like writing music, so I'll leave you to listen to this little demo I wrote and recorded a few years ago.

BTW, if you ever need a National Anthem singer, you know who to come to!

No comments: