Arun is Bringing You...Your Daily Remedy

Monday, January 19, 2009

I Have a Dream

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

Somehow, I feel like the only person who actually has to work today. But, I guess it's all a matter of perspective...at least I have a job!

It's crazy to think that tomorrow, The United States will have our first black President when only 45 years ago, Barack Obama would have had trouble entering many restaurants in Alabama and drinking from public water fountains in Mississippi.

How fitting that the Inauguration is the day after Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

We all know about Junior's famous "I Have a Dream" speech, but how many of us have actually heard the entire thing? I think this speech should be REQUIRED viewing for every American. Not only is it powerfully patriotic, but his speech is a demonstration of world class oration.

Watch the ENTIRE THING. His vocabulary is extensive, his use of metaphor cuts deep, and his delivery is compelling. It's just a superb example of brilliant and powerful public speaking. Notice that when he goes into the "I Have a Dream" section of the oration, he stops glancing at his notes. It's amazing that he delivers such a resonating message extemporaneously!

Anyways, spend 15 minutes of your day off (or, if you're like me, 15 minutes while you're at work :) watching this video. I've seen it a few times now, but I still get goosebumps when I watch it! It's well worth it.

1 comment:

Martha said...

John had to work today...apparently his employer could care less about black people, but think that dead white guys are worth having a day off for (they do get President's Day off). Happy working!