Arun is Bringing You...Your Daily Remedy

Monday, April 9, 2007

Have Your Cake and Eat it Too

It's interesting how so many people accept common cliche's to ring true in their life without ever challenging them. You always hear the old phrase, "You can't have your cake and eat it too!" So many people seem to think that in order to reap the benefits of one thing, you have to sacrifice something else. But why not just have the best of both worlds?

One of my main goals in life in general IS to too Have my cake AND eat it too! I don't believe that you always have to make a sacrifice and choose the greater of two goods. Call me greedy, but I want both!

In some areas, I feel like I've accomplished this, but in many others I'm constantly working towards getting the best of both.

Most people feel like you can't eat junk food and lose weight. Well I eat junk (about 1 day per week) and have managed to stay pretty fit despite not having one of those "I can eat whatever the hell I want and still be thin" types of bodies that we all hate.

To counteract the beer and pizza, I do a lot of exercise. But, most people hate exercise right? Well, I mostly do exercises that I enjoy, namely playing a lot of sports. It doesn't even feel like "hard work" when I'm playing basketball or tennis, even though I'm getting a great workout. Not only am I having fun while I'm playing sports, but I'm counteracting all the "fun" I'm having going out and partying!

Here's a couple of examples of things I'm working on. A lot of people feel like they need to make the sacrifice of going to work, a part of life most people would love to avoid, in order to make money. I actually have a pretty cool job where I really don't mind going in, but believe you me, most days I'd rather just stay home.

A couple of weeks ago, I worked from home for a day, and it was amazing! I went to my coffee shop by the beach with my laptop and was so productive that I didn't even work a full day. Plus, I was able to hang out with some friends in the afternoon, enjoy the beach sun and not really have to plan around a full work day. I decided I want this to be my typical work day.

Now I can't get away with working from home all the time at my current job, which is why I am constantly scheming up other sources of income. Currently I about to start work on a new website which, if successful, should pull in much more income than this site. Don't worry though! Your Daily Remedy will still continue to go strong! The site is a totally different concept than this one.

Am I going to be able to sustain on just the web income from the new site? Almost certainly not (especially since I want to be incredibly wealthy) but its a start, and definitely a step in the right direction of building the "Arun Empire" as well as being able to work from home on my own time.

On a completely different note, I was talking with my Roommate's girlfriend the other day about my dating life. She pointed out that a few months ago, I was dating quite a few girls but that recently, I've kinda tailed off. Well this is very true, and as I thought about it, I realized that I'm just really ultra selective.

When I first moved to San Diego, whenever I'd meet girls I got along with, I'd end up dating them. The problem is, I realized I was wasting my time (and money)going out with so many girls because most of the time, I knew right away that nothing special would ever really materialize. Either they were really attractive but had personality issues I couldn't handle, or they were pretty cool, but I was not attracted to them.

Now when I go out, I actually talk to even more people but a lot of the phone numbers I get, I don't even bother calling because I don't feel any special "spark" in the first meeting. Am I being to selective? Maybe. But I do enjoy being single and I want the super attractive girl WITH an incredible personality, great energy, and a positive outlook. Is that too much to ask for?

On related note, one of the things I do now, is exchange phone numbers with people (yes, usually girls) who I meet just to sort of "social network." I like having a lot of friends and I've found that the more friends you have, the more adventures there are to BE had. The only problem is, its hard exchanging numbers with girls without them thinking that you have some sexual interest in them. Last week I met some girls that were totally awesome. I wasn't attracted to any of them, but I thought it'd be cool to hang out with them on like Sunday Funday or something.

I've found one of two things can happen though. Either they think I'm interested in something so they don't return my calls, or they ARE actually interested in me which means I have to cut them off because I'm not really interested in anything more than just hangin out. I'm still working on a solution to this, but I'd love to hear any suggestions of avoiding this akwardness.

Back to the topic at hand, I think the a huge part of life, is about "Having your cake and eating it too." I am constantly trying to have the best of both without sacrificing the other and I see no reason why it can't be had. Sure many of these "give or take" situations are difficult to find a solution for, and may take some time, I feel pretty productive and fullfilled spending a lot of my time going for that.

I would encourage all of you to not be content making sacrifices you don't have to make and actively seek a solution to have it all! No, I don't have it all yet, but I do have a nice piece of Brazillian Pugime Cake in the fridge at home with my name on it, that I intend to eat with delight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great way to live life.

xxx said...

Interesting...