Arun is Bringing You...Your Daily Remedy

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Get Comfortable By Leaving Your Comfort Zone

Recently I was pondering, and thinking about I've changed over the last few years and realizing how much I think I've really improved at Life. If I can somehow match the personal growth I've experienced these passed six years, I think I'll be in great shape to publish volume II of "Arun's Guide to Lifetime Awesomeness!"

All this thinking made me realize the biggest factor contribution to my personal growth.

Leaving my Comfort Zone.

This has ranged from moving away from home, to switching from briefs to boxers (which guys, if you haven't done, you should make the transition). Sure the security of living at home and having extra support for your loins is nice, but the feeling of freedom and indepedance that both me and my jewels acquired after switching was worth the initial discomfort.

There are so many instances in life where people have the option to change and leave their comfort zone, or remain in current state they are in because they fear any sort of discomfort.

Let's take exercise for example. Obesity in America is obscenely prevalent. People are afraid of the discomfort that is eating healthier and exercise.

Let's be honest: starting an exercise routine is not fun. It's hard work, you're gasping for air, you're sore...not exactly something to look forward to. When I was Chubby I dreaded having to do any sort of exercise. When I finally resolved to suck it up and get out of my comfort zone, I made one of the biggest improvements of my life. I got in shape both physically and mentally!

Once you make the commitment to get out of your comfort zone and power through the initial discomfort of change, you'll find that you end up on silk sheets as opposed to those old cotton ones!

I know tons of people who decided to stay at home after graduating high school. Some of them had no choice but others were simply afraid to leave. A lot of people I knew in college had difficulty being away from home, and moved back before finishing their degree.

They chose the easier, more comfortable solution rather than the challenging one. When I compare the personal success and maturity of these individuals to those who chose the road, the people who powered through the initial, or even prolonged discomfort of being away from home, having seemingly found more success, happiness, and personal growth.

The beginning of college was somewhat difficult for me. Before leaving for college, I had never been serparated from my parents for more than two days. I had so much to learn! Landry, cooking, finance, and just independance in general were all things I had to learn. I can't imagine how different I would be if I hadn't been thrown into the fire of moving away from home.

Now, any opportunity where I can see even remote benefit, I try to take and embrace the leaving of my comfort zone.

I think taking crazy vacations as often as possible is important. I recently took a trip to India which was totally crazy! Comfortable? Not in the least. In fact, everything about being in India is totally UNcomfortable, but the experience has made my life better, and I would do it again.

Having adventurous and crazy vacations not only boosts your experience, but it magnifies the comfort of you own special comfort zone. After going to India, my appreciation for warm showers, traffic enforcement, cool weather, etc. was so much greater, and my home felt amazingly comfortable.

After returning from Vegas, I appreciated the healthy, productive lifestyle I have. I was really looking forward to exercising, eating healthy and yes, even going to work!

And speaking of work, a couple of months ago, I was presented with an opportunity to do a bunch of work for a totally different branch of my company. At first I was hesitant. I would have to learn a LOAD of new stuff, and basically everything I learned in the last year with the company would unapplicable. I reluctantly decided to do it, and am much better off because of it!

The first month I spent completely lost! I didn't know anything about what I was doing. Now, I'm well in the flow of my added responsibilities, I've made a bunch of new friends, have networked within the company, and have become increasingly important.

Had I not taken the opportunity, I would have been totally unknown by this other department, my name and face would not be as recognized (something, as you might know, I love is recognition), and my importance to the company would be looked over.

Things like this happen all the time, and too often we take the easy, more comfortable way out. Try and look at the big picture and embrace the fact that leaving your comfort zone is the best way to make life more comfortable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like to get comfortable by relaxing with a bottle of wine, usually pinot, sprawling out on our chaise lounge, then putting on the golf channel, my absolute favorite. No work involved!!